DO you think that having a website for their online business is the way to improve your online sales? The answer is NO.
How ready you are to beat the online competition?…A checklist of title tag optimisation tips to improve online visibility and driving more traffic to the business.
- Title Should Not Be Too Long- Characters should be under 70 characters. As search engines will display characters under 70, too lengthy title tags can with highly targeted keywords at the end will trigger a negative impact on your search engine visibility and in turn will impact your traffic.For e.g. a title like
<meta name=”title” content=”Tempur mattress and beds, Guaranteed Lowest UK Price on Tempur products”>
will have a positive impact on your search engine visibility and traffic over
<meta name=”title” content=”Enjoy deep, healthy, relaxing sleep, with a wide range of products from Tempur, Tempur Mattress, Tempur Beds-Guaranteed Lowest Price”>
- Identifying the keywords - Identify and prioritise the keywords you want to target and the unique feature of your online shop. For e.g. if you are a retail business selling
Tempur mattress and beds and you sell them at a good cheaper price then a title tag like
<meta name=”title” content=”Tempur mattress and beds, Guaranteed Lowest UK Price on Tempur products”> will do wonder. It will not only improve your search engine visibility but also “Lowest price” keywords will trigger more interest in people to click on your website.
- Repetition can be misleading-Don’t repeat the same titles over multiple pages as it might be misleading and also will have negative impact on your website’s ranking.For e.g. as an online retailer, you might sell girls jackets, girls knitwear, girls skirts, a separate title should exist for all the 3 different pages.For e.g. if your main category is “Girls”, and your title tag is<meta name=”title” content=”Clothing|Designer Clothes|Girls Clothes -Shopname”>then for the Girls Jacket Page , the title should be different and should have keywords highlighting Girls Jacket
<meta name=”title” content=” Clothing|Designer Designer|Girls Jackets -Shopname”>
- Improve your title visibility- A title likeTempur Mattress|Tempur 20 Original Mattress|Free Delivery-ShopnameWill have a higher readability in comparison toGet Free Delivery to the room of your choice when you buy Tempur 20 Original Mattress-ShopnameSo a mix of short and long tail keywords (not stuffing with keywords) separated by a separator improves visibility and further improves the CTR.
- Relevancy required- Title of your page should be relevant to the content of that page. If your web page is about “Tempur Mattress” and your content focus is on “Tempur beds”, then mismatch of title and content will increase your bounce back ratio.
- Be specific with your title- Often while auditing websites, I have seen online business owners who sell only kid’s clothes, baby wear have a section called “clothing” and the title as “Clothing”. Does that anyhow convey enough information to your customer that you only sell kid’s or baby clothes.. NO.User searching for women clothes will click to your website resulting in a high bounce ratio which again degrades your search engine position…Back to square 1.Be specific with what type of clothes you sell.. For e.g.<meta name=”title” content=”Clothing|Kids Clothes|Baby Clothes| Shopname”>
- Identify your online competitors- It’s a good practice to identify your competitors for your targeted keywords, and identify the tricks they are missing on the landing page title for those keywords in terms of triggering interest in people to click and accordingly you can implement it in your Title.For e.g. a user search for kids clothes, and the search engine result pages (serp) come back with results.-Children Clothing, Shopname| kids |boys| baby| and girls clothing-upto 50% off | Kids |Girls|Boys| Baby Clothes-ShopnameWhich would trigger more clicks, The second one.. for obvious reasons.
As a Manchester Digital Agency we not only optimise your Title Tags to improve your search engine visibility but emphasis how an optimised title tags can generate more clicks and further which can improve your conversion rate.